Location:  Lasell College, Gym, Room 101

Start time: 6:30

End time: 7:45

(Followed by draft)

 

Attendees: Jonah Mytro, Lynn Kerr, Jay Flynn, Samantha Lampert, Jeff Sinnamon, Mark Archibald, Daniel Chen (late – not present at votes before budget in notes below)

Absent:  Jeffry Powell, Chuck Blake

Guests: Mark Robarts, Judy Katalina, Darcy Duke, Dave Castanon (late), Tom Olson, Bruce-RVC, new Salem State TD

 

Approval of Past Minutes

  • Completed via email vote and posted minutes online
  • Mark Archibald motions to approve
    • Jonah Seconds
    • For:  Jeffry, Sam, Lynn, Daniel, Jeff S, Mark
    • That’s a majority!

 

Reports

  • NERVA Report
    • Set up for online credit card payment next year
      • Dave Castanon suggests that we should discuss fees for next year ($1.30 a member per credit card)
      • Money comes through us, so we are not losing control over it
    • Suggests we may want to increase paper membership fees for next year
  • Treasurer Report – Jay Flynn, “On budget so far”
  • Registrar Report
    • Judy still needs a list of everyone who joins at each tourney (remind at draft later tonight)
    • 1,250 full members, about 150 behind last year (excluding the Pierce)
  • Ratings Report
    • Men
      • Art Palmer and Dave Rind stepped down as committee members
      • Jeff Sinnamon and Jeffry Powell have joined
      • Looking for more
      • Have been sending out updates every two weeks
  • Web Editor Report
    • Working on online scramble registration page
      • Sam recommends Tom Sweeney checks in with MIT women’s club as to how they do theirs
    • Available to make additions for weather updates, etc. to online team registration pages
  • “Newsletter” Report
    • 48% open rate on December’s newsletter
  • GRC Report
    • Scrambles
      • Last Coed did not run (not enough men signed up)
      • Men’s filled, women’s 8 teams
      • Last minute (Friday night) sign ups have continued to be an issue
        • 10-12 new people
      • Daniel would like to take over as the scramble co-ordinator
      • Jan 12 scramble is cancelled
        • We’ll have 3 in the next session
    • Team organizers
      • Rita Cook will help organize women’s teams via Stray Cats
      • Lynn will follow up with her to see how its going
  • Bylaws Committee Report - None
  • Rick Pierce Award Committee
    • Brian Kangas and Julie Robarts won
    • Announcement was posted on bavp

 

Old Business

  • Set 2008 Board Meeting Schedule
    • 7:30 at Lasell
      • Jan 28
      • Mar 3
      • Apr 7
      • Meet in May if needed
  • Assign a new tournament coordinator
    • Jonah will look outside the board
  • Championships
    • Jonah working with Chet on gyms and dates
    • Ratings Freeze Date Change?
      • Was March 15 last year
        • Jeff S, Jay suggest leave where it is
        • Discussion ends
  • Stipend Adjustments
    • Newsletter Stipend
    • Blog Stipend
    • Sam motions to separate the fee in two for the two separate positions
      • Jay Seconds
      • For: Unanimous
        • Motion Passes
    • Jay Motions to increase the stipend according to Jonah’s budget proposal and split that in half for each of the positions
      • Mark Archibald seconds
        • For: Jay, Jonah, Mark, Jeff S, Sam
        • Abstain: Lynn
          • Motion Passes
  • Vote on “OPEN” money and Hayson Group participation
    • NERVA is on board with splitting the fee
      • Hayson Group will send contract to NERVA (Dave) and Jonah
      • Hayson Group will write the bid
      • NERVA and Yankee will split the $5,000 cost
    • Jay Flynn motions to approve the money for the bid
      • Sam seconds
        • For: Unanimous
  • Vote on AVP money
    • Jay says our budget is looking tight
    • Jeff S motions to cut the $10,000 AVP expenses from the budget
      • Jay seconds
        • For:  Unanimous
          • Motion Passes
  • 2007-2008 final Budget Review and vote
    • Jay suggests we table the discussion of Nationals gifts until we see where we are fiscally later in the year
    • Jonah mentions we lose money on scrambles
      • Jeff Sinnamon thinks we run too many
        • Yankee has decreased the number of scrambles to 3 for this next session
      • Jonah motions to approve the proposed budget without AVP or Nationals Gifts included
        • Jeff S seconds
          • For: Unanimous
            • Motion Passes
  • Planning Calendar for Board
    • See handout; will be posted online
  • Draft Rules/Policies review
    • Handling of “special tournaments”, eg. Rick Pierce
      • “Special Tournaments” are currently Rick Pierce, Bean Pot, Baby Emily, Brenda Freese
      • Sam motions that any site running a Yankee approved special tournament does not lose it’s first round draft pick
        • Mark seconds
          • For: Sam, Daniel Jonah, Mark
            • No: Jay, Jeff S
            • Abstain: Lynn
              • Motion passes: rule will be changed
    • Drafting one date rule
      • Suggested by Darcy that groups with one date could have their one date already on the calendar so people are aware of date/size/level – just so people are aware and not as an actual draft date
  • Rick Pierce Tournament
    • TD met the deadline that Jonah gave him regarding announcing accepted  teams
      • Start times were not given out until late Friday night
    • Tournament has existed for 35 years
  • TD Cancellation issues per this past weekend’s snowstorm
    • Members suggested there should be a cancellation guideline/policy in the TD handbook
    • TDs should be calling captains or offering means of communication to captains/teams when a tourney is cancelled.
      • TDs should include their inclement weather policy with their contact information
        • Jonah will email TDs regarding this issue and suggest that they have a clearly stated policy or procedure along with their contact information on the Yankee website

 

Pushed to next meeting:

    • Proposal to raise offline membership fees for next year
      • Only simple memberships are online renewals
    • Start planning ahead for online payment next year
    • Per new calendar
      • Decide on Picnic
      • Decide on Nationals gifts
      • Reminder to order championships and MVP prizes
      • Review nationals mappings