Attendance: Jonah Mytro, Lynn Kerr, Jay Flynn, Samantha Lampert, Mark Archibald, Chuck Blake, Daniel Chen

Confirmed No: Tom Sweeny, Jeffry Powell

Guest: Chet Oberhelman

Start time: 7:30pm

End time:  8:45pm

 

LOCATION: Lasell College, Athletics Center

 

Reports:

 

  • Treasurer Report – Jay presents
    • Lot’s of bounced checks from members to NERVA
  • Registrar’s Report - None
  • NERVA Report - None
  • Ratings Report
    • Is there a “day-of-the-week” that re-rates should all default to? Such as a Monday?
      • There will be no change…2 weeks from the date on the letter
  • Blog Report
    • Re-rates and championships info are posted
    • Averaging 30-50 hits a day
  • Newsletter Update
    • Working on February email newsletter now
    • Avg between 10 and 20% open rate
    • 1500 sign ups; Judy sends new emails from registrations monthly
  • Web Editor Report
    • Spring Schedule up and on-line.
    • Registration and Roster system has also been updated.
      • The Yankee Championships and NERVA Regionals portion of this are now available. 
        • The changes that were made to the registration system for the new membership system last fall broke the Champs portion of the system and we needed to make some adjustments to get it on-line.
    • The server that runs our scripts for things like the registration system and some of the tests crashed late last week and was out of commission for a number of hours.
      • Shortly before that, the IP address for the server had to change and caused some outages for some folks.
  • GRC Report
    • Next scramble in 2 weeks in CT
      • 7 men, 8 women signed up now
      • Lots of last minute sign ups are expected
        • Will cancel if we don’t have 4 teams of each gender by the Wednesday before
        • 2 more coming up after that
  • Bylaws Committee Report - None

 

Old Business:

 

  • Approval of past minutes
    • Mark motions to approve via email
      • Lynn seconds
        • Yes: Jay Flynn, Mark Archibald, Lynn, Jeffry, Samantha, Jonah
    • Motion passes by majority
  • Nationals Mappings
    • Jonah will handle with David Castanon mid-February
  • Nationals Gifts
    • Weren’t voted for in existing budget
    • Will decide at next meeting, depending on how we stand with membership and available funds
  • Picnic
    • Jonah motions to have a picnic this year without a rain date
      • Mark seconds
        • Agree– Unanimous
  • Next Year’s Membership Fees
    • Jonah is attending NERVA board meeting where this will be discussed
      • Jonah needs a board member to go with him
    • We will likely raise them to $35online/$38offline; but will wait to decide until after the NERVA meeting
  • Online Membership Registration Payment
    • Starting next year we’ll be able to accept online membership registration payments
    • This will pass through NERVA instead of through USAV, so NERVA will have control over it
  • Championships/Prizes
    • Chet is working on artwork
      • Meeting with Maurice (RC Silkscreen) in March to choose gear and order
      • There is a budget for prizes that Chet is working within
    • Have already received some entries
    • Jonah will continue to mention in Newsletter
    • Remind community to take R2/scorekeeper tests
    • Reminder: ratings freeze is March 1
  • Player Misconduct, Team name appropriateness
    • Do tournament guidelines direct a TD to be on-site during the tournament?
      • Sam will check if this is in tournament director guidelines
        • Added post meeting:  TD guidelines do not explicitly say a TD must be on-site for the duration of any tourney, but it is implied via TD responsibilities that are outlined in the Tournament Director Guidelines and is strongly recommended by the Yankee Board
    • RCO ‘disqualification’
      • Jonah has followed up with involved parties
    • Mistaking a B+ for a C-
      • Team was disqualified for having a B+ in a C level tourney; he was put on roster as a C- due to a spelling error in the player’s name
      • Jonah will follow up and get some more details
    • Team Names
      • BAVP has been emailed
      • TD’s have been emailed
  • USA Open
    • Lynn and Chet attended meeting with Chet and the Hayson Sports Group; Hall of Fame representatives
    • See handout
    • RFP has not come out from USAV yet; on hold until then
  • Tournament Coordinator and Draft
    • Responsibilities are to coordinate draft; approve changes to drafted tournaments
      • Mark and Daniel have both expressed interest
  • Yankee Rants
    • We played in the men's c+ and were told that if playoffs didn't begin by 4pm, then only one team from each of the two pools would break pool - and the reason for this was that they had another event planned. my issue with this is that the event was actually a different vball event run by the TDs.
      • Is there any policy that states that a tournament must allow for a  certain # of hours or people breaking pool or if nothing else, telling people ahead of time about this?
      •  Check Yankee rule for minimum play for the day.
        • Added post meeting:  There are no current hard and fast rules for tournament format or playoffs beyond what is posted in Yankee Rules and Tournament Director Guidelines.
    • Scramble Prizes
      • Any scramble prizes that were not handed out the day of the particular scramble have now been sent

New Business:

 

  • Chet got a question wrong on the referee test
    • “Net violation away from the ball is not a violation” example
    • Chet’s suggestion is for Steve Webster (Referee Coordinator) to come to 1st meeting of the year to explain the new rules and their interpretations from USAV for the year
      • Then Yankee Board publishes simple explanations and examples
      • Sam will add to the “Board Calendar” and we’ll invite the Referee Coordinator to the first Fall Meeting of each calendar year
        • Added post meeting:  Steve (current referee coordinator) likes this idea
      • Jonah will add some “rules news” to the next newsletter
  • Mileage reimbursement
    • Reminder to Jonah that no mileage reimbursement has been paid.
  • Next Meeting – March 3, 7:30 pm Lasell College