Yankee Volleyball

USAV Referees


Common Forms:


How Do I Become a Certified Referee?

To become a USA Volleyball certified referee, there are four core components that have to occur every year - membership, clinic, exam, and practical.

Here is further information:
  1. Become a member of the New England Region of USA Volleyball at http://www.yankee.org/administration/membershipApplication.php
  2. Once you are a member, log into the USAV membership database (Webpoint) at https://webpoint.usavolleyball.org/
  3. Sign up for the free NE16_202 NERVA New Referee Training by clicking on USAV & Region Events Event Registration|Region Ref/Score Clinics
  4. You will get an on-screen confirmation of your registration.
  5. Log into the USAV Academy through Webpoint by clicking on the red USAV Academy or Login to USAV Academy buttons. No further login is needed for the Academy. Any changes to your Webpoint credentials will flow into your Academy ID.
  6. Complete the program by viewing all of the course materials.
    1. A 50-question referee exam is part of the course materials. You may take it open book if you like. Passing is an 84%. Please review the rule references for the questions you missed. Take the exam until you have achieved a passing score.
  7. Once you have completed the coursework and you are comfortable as a first and second referee, contact Laura Nelson (laura@bssc.com) to arrange to be evaluated at a tournament.
Those are the To Dos. What we can't do online is help you practice and get skilled at blowing a whistle and actually DOING the job. There is no substitute for time on task. This is something you need to do in venues that are convenient to you and your life. If you need some help finding locales, please drop a line.
But, the old adage certainly applies, "How do you get to Lincoln Center? Practice, practice, practice."
Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
Steven Webster
USAV Officials chair

Referee FAQs

How do I get assigned?
After you get certified, you will be set up in NERVA's online assigning system.
How frequently do I have to referee?
Entry level referees must work one tournament a season (for which you will be paid). Beyond that, it will depend on your interest, availability, and skills. Some referees work one day a month. Others do so far more often.
How much do I get paid?
As a player referee, $22/match. As a non-player, $170/day plus a token amount for travel, and $12.50/half hour beyond 9 hours.
Once I get a USAV certification, will I be able to work high school or college volleyball?
No. Most college and high school ball use different rule sets and certification via PAVO or NFHS.
For more information, contact Steve Webster, NERVA Officials Chair, by email